National Association of Flavors and Food-Ingredient Systems
NAFFS Winter Meeting
Wednesday, February 19, 2014
10:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
To Be Held at
55 State Route 17 South
Rochelle Park, NJ
What Do Flavorists and Brewmasters Have in Common?
Join us at NAFFS Winter Meeting where you will experience first-hand the skillful manipulation of ingredients that will transform food and beer into creative, flavorful products. Presenters Mike Babb & Polly Barrett of Kalsec will guide you through an interactive program complete with tastings which will:
• Identify flavors formed during brewing, both desirable and undesirable
• Identify market opportunities for adding flavors during brewing
• Show current trends in beer styles
• Examine the differences between bitter hops and aroma hops
• Beer pairing – using a complimentary flavor as a springboard to the dish
This audience-participation program concludes with a networking lunch featuring a beer-inspired menu with beer pairings.
Registration Opens – The Dog & Cask
Program & Tastings
Networking Luncheon with Food & Beer Pairings
State of Brewing Industry (Mike Babb):
• Market conditions, beer styles and trends
• Role of Flavor additions in Commercial Brewing Industry
Evolution of a trained beer panel (Polly Barrett):
• Development – understanding flavor formation during brewing
• Alignment – adjusting panel training and capabilities to align with research objectives, such as beer staling, hop oil aroma development
• Refinement – refocus more toward sales and marketing of bitterness and flavors
About the Speakers:
Mike Babb has a B.S. degree in Chemical and Petroleum Engineering from the Colorado School of Mines. Babb also studied Brewing Technology at the Technical University of Munich – Weihenstephan, and has a Master’s degree in Education and Curriculum Development from Colorado Christian University. He worked at the Coors Brewing Company for 20 years in a number of positions including Process Development, R&D, Manufacturing Management, and International Head Brewer. Babb was an instructor and Director of Education for brewing education at the Siebel Institute of Technology for 15 years. He joined Kalsec in November 2003 as Hops Products Technical Sales Associate. He was the Director – Hops Product Management for six years and was recently named Kalsec Hops Fellow.
Polly Barrett joined the Kalsec team after graduating from Kalamazoo College with a Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry and Mathematics. She has served Kalsec for over 14 years in a variety of research-based roles, including Quality Control, Antioxidant R&D, Flavors R&D and Sensory Sciences. Barrett is working toward her Ph.D. in Evaluation, Measurement and Research at Western Michigan University, with a focus on experimental design for new product development. She is currently the Director of Applied Flavors Research and Development and Sensory Sciences for Kalsec. In this role, she oversees the R&D team, flavor chemists, chefs and sensory scientists.
All this for just $125*
*$125 for NAFFS members, $175 for non-members
Seating is limited. Register today!
DOWNLOAD REGISTRATION FORM
NAFFS THANKS ITS CORPORATE SPONSORS
ACS International. Inc.
Citrus & Allied Essences Ltd.
David Michael & Co., Inc.
Hagelin Flavor Technologies
Savoury Systems International, Inc.
Sethness Products Company
Whittle & Mutch, Inc.